If you have young children, then you may deal with head lice in the near or distant future. Many parents deal with it but few are prepared for it. As lice experts, it’s our goal to educate as many parents about head lice as possible to debunk myths and illuminate the stigma of having lice. Just like kids get the common cold from their peers, kids also get head lice from their peers. It goes from child to child and lice certainly don’t discriminate. This means they don’t care if your hair is clean or dirty, straight or curly, blonde or brunette. They just need hair to live in and blood to suck on. People of all ages can contract head lice but it is most common among children because it spreads through direct contact and children often touch heads while playing, napping or hugging. Here are some quick facts about head lice to jump start your head lice knowledge.
- Head lice are parasitic insects that go way back to ancient times.
- Head lice are one of the top 3 reasons kids miss school.
- Head lice are common among children. About 6-12 million kids get lice per year.
- Head lice are not dangerous but they are a contagious nuisance.
- Head lice have nothing to do with uncleanliness or hygiene.
- Head lice don’t jump or fly.
- Head lice can’t live on pets.
- Head Lice cannot live in your home for more than 24 hours.
- Head lice need a human host to survive because they feed on human blood several times a day. They will die within 1 to 2 days after being off their host because they no longer have a food source.
- Head lice are very small — about the size of a sesame seed. They can be tan, brown, or gray in color.
- Head lice prefer a dark, warm environment and are often discovered behind the ears, under a ponytail and at the nape of the neck. They can also be found on eyebrows and eyelashes (not as common).
- A female louse can lay up to 10 eggs daily; they prefer to lay their eggs ¼” from the scalp.
- Head lice eggs or their eggs might be mistaken for dandruff. But they are firmly attached to the hair shaft with a waterproof glue-like substance and won’t brush off.
If you face head lice anytime soon, we offer the best treatment on the market. Give us a call for a head check and lice treatment appointment.